As of today, Jaden Springer is officially a Sixer! So we had to talk about the defensive menace.
“No Particular Hurry” episode 25 is out now. In this episode host Dave Early interviews Keith Williams, a basketball coach and skills trainer to NBA and WNBA legends like Kevin Durant, DeMarcus Cousins, Gilbert Arenas, Chamique Holdsclaw, Alana Beard, Steve Francis, and many more. He’s worked off and on for several years now with Sixers’ 28th overall pick, Jaden Springer, out of Tennessee.
In the pod, they get into:
- Shooting will be an important swing skill for Springer. What does Williams think of Springer’s shooting form? Are there changes Springer wants to make to his form?
- Might Springer struggle to get his shot off at the pro level?
- He shot a lot of pull-ups in college, do you think he’ll transition smoothly to shooting more 3s at the pro level?
- Will he be able to come right in and play that pitbull style of defense he’s known for or will he need some time to develop?
- What would have happened if they put Springer on Hawks wing Kevin Huerter in the second round a couple of months ago?
- Will the refs let him play that level of D or will it be the usual rookie treatment even Matisse Thybulle has had to go through?
- Is Jaden like any other of his past clients? What’s his make-up and temperament? Hear what Williams thinks makes Springer unlike any client he’s ever worked with before.
And fun tidbits like this about his upbringing and personality:
“He’s competitive so the type of family he comes from, they’re very competitive, they’re gonna be competitive, on anything you can imagine, they’re competitive on. And he’s not a big talker. But when it gets competitive he will talk trash as you saw while we were playing chess. I mean he’s a competitive kid. That’s a fact. But I think you know for the town of Philly and the type of kid he is, I think it’s a perfect match.”