How about your brand new Philadelphia 76ers? All it took was one night — draft night — for the Sixers’ new President of Basketball Operations to materially change the team’s roster and short-term outlook.
First, Daryl Morey accomplished the gargantuan feat of trading Al Horford, a first-round pick and a second-round pick to Oklahoma City for veteran three-and-D specialist Danny Green. Then, Morey capitalized on some good luck, as the first round of the draft went the Sixers’ way and enabled the team to select Kentucky guard Tyrese Maxey with the 21st overall pick. Soon after, Morey acted again via trade, sending Josh Richardson — a fine player who was unfortunately miscast and overextended on last year’s team — and a second-rounder to Dallas in exchange for cost-controlled sharpshooter Seth Curry. To round out the night, Morey added Isaiah Joe — a conscious-less 3-point bomber — with the 49th overall selection, and then nabbed Paul Reed — an unheralded, toolsy, defense-first big man — with the 58th pick.
Thus far in free agency, Morey has been mostly quiet. On night one, he pulled off a surprising reunion, adding recent champion Dwight Howard on a veteran-minimum contract to serve as Joel Embiid’s backup, and thus spurning the dreams of Process diehards praying for a reunion with former Sixer Nerlens Noel. He also sent Zhaire Smith to Detroit in exchange for center Tony Bradley.
If you’re like me, part of (possibly the only part of) the fun of rooting for the Sixers is in developing an interest in and a knowledge about the players on the team, off the court. Whether it’s Doc Rivers’ position on the NBA’s new social justice leadership counsel, Joel Embiid’s recent fatherhood, or Matisse Thybulle’s impossibly insufficient Chick-fil-A orders, I love it all. So let’s take a look around the internet and gather up some fun facts about the lives of our newest Sixers.
6-foot-6, 215 lbs, 33 years old.
- Danny’s cousin is longtime NBA player and great dunker Gerald Green.
- Danny’s other cousin (his third cousin, to be specific) is one of my favorite former Sixers, Willie Green.
- Danny has a podcast that is not yet a part of the Liberty Ballers Podcast Network, entitled Inside the Green Room With Danny Green.
6-foot-3, 200 lbs, 20 years old.
- Maxey chose Kentucky as his college destination over Southern Methodist University, which narrowly lost out on the guard.
- Maxey is from Garland, Texas, just like former Sixers guard Zhaire Smith.
- In April, Maxey signed with Klutch Sports Group. Run, of course, by super-agent Rich Paul, Maxey joined the company of LeBron James and Sixers star Ben Simmons. Both were quick to congratulate Maxey after the Sixers selected him at 21st overall in the draft.
6-foot-2, 185 lbs, 30 years old.
- The most notable fun fact about Seth is that he is married to new head coach Doc Rivers’ daughter, Callie. Of course, Seth’s brother is Stephen Curry.
- Curry’s younger sister, Sydel, is married to current Warriors guard Damion Lee.
- According to his Instagram, it appears that Curry is somewhat of an avid gamer, which ought to fit in quite nicely next to Simmons. Both, I believe, are in the FaZe Clan, which appears to be some sort of online gaming society.
6-foot-5, 180 lbs, 21 years old.
- As a very recent second-round-pick, there sadly isn’t much publicly available about Joe’s personality or personal life. What we do know, however, is that in August, Joe announced that he would be withdrawing from the NBA draft. A few weeks later, Joe reversed course and decided to keep his hat in the ring. What we know now is that this reversal was highly likely due to a draft promise from the Sixers.
6-foot-9, 220 lbs, 21 years old.
- Reed is from Orlando, Florida, where he grew six inches in height between his freshman and senior year.
- Reed chose to play college ball at DePaul over Clemson, Kansas State, Rutgers and Murray State.
6-foot-10, 265 lbs, 34 years old.
- Howard owns upwards of 20 snakes, and has twice appeared on the Animal Planet show Tanked.
- Howard owns a farm in North Georgia.
- In 2014, a documentary about Howard was released via Epix entitled In The Moment.
(Note: this column was intended to feature fun facts about the Sixers’ new acquisitions. In combing through Howard’s Wikipedia page, I came across a number of incidents which are expressly not fun. But they shouldn’t be ignored, so if you’re interested, click here or here.)
6-foot-10, 248 lbs, 22 years old.
- A hot commodity coming out of high school in Florida, Bradley opted for North Carolina as his collegiate choice over Kansas, Florida, Florida State, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Miami and NC State.
- According to his Instagram, Bradley hosted a basketball camp in Utah for local kids.
- Bradley is described as earnest and polite, and apparently got “accidentally muscular” during the NBA shutdown last spring.