Last night, the Sixers won five-straight games for the first time since the span from December 31, 2011 to January 11, 2012 when they won six-straight. That’s a long time. So long ago, in fact, that I couldn’t even remember what the hell was going on in the world when that happened. Ben Simmons was 16 and still in Australia, Joel Embiid was at Montverde Academy where he’d eventually transfer out, and Dario Saric was playing for KK Zagreb in the Adriatic League. But let us look and see how much the world has changed since then. Let us go back in time:
December 31, 2011
Sixers beat the Golden State Warriors 107-79 behind 23 points from Lou Williams to start their streak. Stephen Curry scored 21 points in a game without Monta Ellis.
- CNN: 'Iraq Day' marks deadline for U.S. withdrawal.
- CNN: Have You Seen Banana-Sam? The primate was stolen from the San Francisco zoo.
January 1, 2012
- CNN: Stolen Primate Banana Sam returned safely to the San Francisco zoo.
January 2, 2012
- Philly.com: Mayor Nutter Sworn in for 2nd term.
- The Flyers lose to the New York Rangers 3-2 in the Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park.
January 4, 2012
The Sixers beat New Orleans Hornets 101-93. Jrue Holiday scored 14 of his 23 points in the 4th. Carl Landry scored 21 for the Hornets.
- Philly.com: Cops seek aggressive Flyers fans in post-Classic brawl
- CNN: Mitt Romney wins Iowa Caucus
January 6, 2012
Sixers beat the Pistons 96-73 as Spencer Hawes notches a 16 point, 14 rebound double-double.
- WWE: Hornswoggle defeated Heath Slater in an Over The Top Rope Challenge on Smackdown
January 7, 2012
Sixers beat Toronto 97-62. Elton Brand has to change jerseys after his #42 is torn by the Raptors’ Amir Johnson.
The #Sixers are so fun to watch. So unselfish, so athletic, so young, so versatile, so much energy. Flawed or not, I'm really enjoying this.— Liberty Ballers (@Liberty_Ballers) January 8, 2012
- Charles Barkley hosts SNL. The show features a sketch about the Mayan Calendar and the second ever appearance of Drunk Uncle.
January 8, 2012
- CNN: Papa John’s apologizes for receipt’s racial slur
January 9, 2012
Sixers beat the Pacers 96-86. From the ESPN recap: "'First place, 6-2,' said a smiling Josh Harris as he shook Collins' hand. What a fantastic early return on his investment. All the Sixers are playing a role in this roll to the top of the Atlantic Division."
This "Night Shift" nickname for the #Sixers bench is gaining steam.— Liberty Ballers (@Liberty_Ballers) January 10, 2012
- Philly.com: Charlie Sheen: “I’m not crazy — anymore”
- CNN: Tim Tebow leads Broncos to overtime win - passing yards bring up biblical number.
January 10, 2012
Sixers beat the Kings 112-85. Jimmer Fredette starts. Evan Turner drops 16/10/8.
- Philly.com: John Bolaris is no longer employed by Fox29
January 11, 2012
The streak comes to a close as the Sixers lose to the Knicks, 85-79.