Following an elimination to eventual NBA Champion Golden State Warriors in the second round of this year's playoffs, the Memphis Grizzlies seek to continue their current status as Western Conference playoff contenders by selecting Delon Wright 25th overall.
A 23-year old point guard out of the University of Utah, Wright projects as one of, if not the oldest player to be drafted on June 25. Wright's biggest strength comes on the defensive side of the ball, where he excels at pressuring the ball, accumulating a high number of steals, and defensive rebounds. Wesley wrote a lot more about Wright's attributes a few days ago as part of LB's 2015 Pimp Your Prospect series.
As a team, the Grizzlies are in a position of being a very good team in a great conference. While there is no shame in losing in six games to one of the strongest teams of the last decade, the fact of the matter remains that if Memphis wants to win a championship in this current era they are going to have to improve because Golden State is not a team likely to lose ground next season, and that's not even getting into the fact that the Grizzlies will have to contend with the Clippers, Rockets, and a healthy Thunder some more. While Wright is not a major splash, he will make a nice depth piece off the bench. Being 23 and near his physical prime, there should not be much of a concern about Wright being ready and able to contribute at the NBA level now.
1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Karl-Anthony Towns
2. Los Angeles Lakers - Jahlil Okafor
3. Philadelphia 76ers - D'Angelo Russell
4. New York Knicks - Emmanuel Mudiay
5. Orlando Magic - Mario Hezonja
6. Sacramento Kings - Justise Winslow
7. Denver Nuggets - Willie Cauley-Stein
8. Detroit Pistons - Stanley Johnson
9. Charlotte Hornets - Kristaps Porzingis
10. Miami Heat - Myles Turner
11. Indiana Pacers - Cameron Payne
12. Utah Jazz - Frank Kaminsky
13. Phoenix Suns - Kelly Oubre
14. Oklahoma City Thunder - Bobby Portis
15. Atlanta Hawks - Sam Dekker
16. Boston Celtics - R.J. Hunter
17. Milwaukee Bucks - Trey Lyles
18. Houston Rockets - Jerian Grant
19. Washington Wizards - Devin Booker
20. Toronto Raptors - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
21. Dallas Mavericks - Tyus Jones
22. Chicago Bulls - Rashad Vaughn
23. Portland Trail Blazers - Kevon Looney
24. Cleveland Cavaliers - Justin Anderson
25. Memphis Grizzlies - Delon Wright
26. San Antonio Spurs - ???