Fresh off an NBA Finals appearance where LeBron James carried the corpses of Mike Miller and James Jones for six games, the Cavaliers will be relieved to add some young, cheap talent to a roster devoid of it with the 25th pick in next week's NBA Draft. Another offseason of player movement awaits Cleveland, as King James, Kevin Love, J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert and Tristan Thompson can all hit various degrees of free agency next month.
Judging off their Finals performance, the Cavs' biggest needs are at the backup point guard spot and three-and-D wing players. The midseason addition of Knicks guards Smith and Shumpert backfired over the last two weeks, as Smith and his hoverboard put up horrid 31.2%/29.4%/60.0% shooting splits against the Warriors, while Shump was just as dreadful at 25.6%/32.0%/64.3%.
Given the possibility that one or both of those guards will be playing elsewhere next season, adding a guy who can knock down triples while LeBron runs the team's offense out of the post would be perfect.
Enter Virginia's Justin Anderson. At 6'6" with a wingspan of nearly seven feet, he has the length that will allow him to defend both wing positions in the NBA, taking some wear and tear off LeBron's body as he ages.
What saves him from just the dreaded Tony Allen comparison with those physical traits that non-shooters receive is that he improved his stroke on three pointers as a junior this past season. After knocking down just 30.3% of his threes as a freshman and 29.4% as a sophomore, Anderson exploded and nailed 45.4% of his those long-range shots (104 attempts) this year.
Anderson ending up in Cleveland would do wonders for his #brand #synergy as well, as he just spent three years playing for the Cavaliers in Charlottesville and he'd then have a chance to showcase his skills again for King James' Cavaliers.
Justin F. will be picking for the Grizzlies tomorrow.
1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Karl-Anthony Towns
2. Los Angeles Lakers - Jahlil Okafor
3. Philadelphia 76ers - D'Angelo Russell
4. New York Knicks - Emmanuel Mudiay
5. Orlando Magic - Mario Hezonja
6. Sacramento Kings - Justise Winslow
7. Denver Nuggets - Willie Cauley-Stein
8. Detroit Pistons - Stanley Johnson
9. Charlotte Hornets - Kristaps Porzingis
10. Miami Heat - Myles Turner
11. Indiana Pacers - Cameron Payne
12. Utah Jazz - Frank Kaminsky
13. Phoenix Suns - Kelly Oubre
14. Oklahoma City Thunder - Bobby Portis
15. Atlanta Hawks - Sam Dekker
16. Boston Celtics - R.J. Hunter
17. Milwaukee Bucks - Trey Lyles
18. Houston Rockets - Jerian Grant
19. Washington Wizards - Devin Booker
20. Toronto Raptors - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
21. Dallas Mavericks - Tyus Jones
22. Chicago Bulls - Rashad Vaughn
23. Portland Trail Blazers - Kevon Looney
24. Cleveland Cavaliers - Justin Anderson
25. Memphis Grizzlies - ???