Dr. J had some serious clout. Just ask World B. Free.Posted by Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday, March 26, 2015
This is pretty much the most '70s NBA story ever. Now, all NBA rookies have to do is bring donuts and/or Chick-Fil-A to team functions, but 40 years ago, guys like World B. Free had to pick up vets like Julius Erving from New York and drive them to practice. Can't wait until next year when Jahlil Okafor is tasked with picking up JaKarr Sampson from the Spongebob SquarePants Live Tour stop at the Barclays Center.
ICYMI, Joel Embiid hooked up with an outfit called GameOn, and the company has released two (of many!) videos where JoJo responds to questions he's received via social media. A summary of his responses:
- Says that he (and not Furkan Aldemir) is the biggest ladies' man on the Sixers. Which would make sense, considering that he's pushing 300 pounds and all.
- He's ticklish.
- He doesn't eat cheesesteaks because they'll make him fat.
- He doesn't think Rihanna and Leonardo DiCaprio are actually dating. I'm not entirely sure he knows who Leonardo DiCaprio actually is.
- Embiid claims that a grilled cheese sandwich would win a fight against a taco. (Which is correct.)
- Embiid says he can beat LeBron in a game of 1-on-1 (Which is incorrect.)
Apparently, more videos will be forthcoming, and you can submit your own questions by using the #TellJoel hashtag on the Twitter machine. I have a few queries that need answers:
- How much did JaVale McGee teach you while he was here?
- Ginger or Mary Ann?
- Franklin: Thumbs up or thumbs down?
- What is Perry Ellis's actual age?
- Why did Zayn Malik REALLY leave One Direction?
- Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, Baja Fresh or California Tortilla?
Philadelphia 76ers (@Sixers) March 26, 2015
This isn't even remotely like the famed figure-four leglock, but it gives me an excuse to trot out my horribly uninformed predictions on tonight's Wrestlemania 31 card:
- Tag Team Title Match: Usos (I miss the days of the Smoking Gunns)
- Andre The Giant Battle Royal: Mizdow
- A.J. Lee/Paige v. Bella Twins: *flips coin* ... A.J. Lee/Paige
- IC Title Ladder Match: Bryan
- Rusev v. Cena: Cena
- Undertaker v. Wyatt: Wyatt
- Orton v. Rollins: Orton
- Sting v. Hunter Hearst Helmsley: Sting
- Lesnar v. Reigns: Reigns; Rollins cashes in MITB, but loses due to Orton's interference
(P.S. - Can someone please tell Tanner Steidel that Jim Neidhart is NOT in the Battle Royal this year?)
Pepe Sanchez FTW. BTW, the former All-American is going to be inducted into the Big 5 Hall of Fame on April 13.
I'm not one to tell other people how to spend their money, but if Josh Harris and Co. are intent on paying Allen Iverson, I'm pretty sure they could find a better use of his time than having him play a version of "Win, Lose or Draw" that he's CLEARLY uninterested in. Call me crazy, but I would have handed A.I. an iPad loaded with game film and had him compare and contrast the styles of Emmanuel Mudiay and D'Angelo Russell.
What's the weirdest part of the Sixers this year?— Liberty Ballers (@Liberty_Ballers) March 28, 2015
I was going to write an entire post about the weirdness that's been the 2014-15 Sixers' season, but Sean O'Connor already beat me to the punch. There were a few things that I didn't see mentioned, however:
- The Sixers swapped out the Big Mac promotion for a Papa John's deal where fans get 50% off after every victory. The team promptly went out and started the season 0-17.
- That time when NBA.com couldn't even bother to find a correct picture for Larry Drew II.
- That time when CSN Philly couldn't even bother to find a correct picture for Jerami Grant.
- The Sixers' Senior Dancers.
- Alexey Shved was a "thing" for like an hour and a half.
- Hasheem Thabeet was literally here for like an hour and a half.
- Malcolm Lee.
- Remember when Joel Embiid was 300 pounds? Neither do I, because it never happened.
- Speaking of Embiid, there's also that time when he tried to slide into the DMs of one Kim Kardashian.
- Zach LaVine's All-Star Weekend dunkfest was powerful enough to shock Dr. J into a catatonic state.
- We actually saw Sam Hinkie.