The "dog days" of summer hasn't been filled with much excitement in the Sixersverse. As if on cue, the Sixers decided to throw out a nugget of information to wet our appetites by announcing their 2014 Preseason schedule. Start marking your calendars for some preseason action, where we get a first look at the team and the points don't matter. Check out some of the dates below courtesy of NBA.com:
Looking over the schedule, there are a few things to take note.
- First, the Sixers play only 2 "home" games (at WFC) among their 8 preseason games: October 8th against Bobnets/Horncats/Hornets and October 16th against the Celtics. A possible home introduction to a MCW-Noel led starting 5 is exciting on its own. But getting an early look at the Lance-Kemba back court should be fun.
- I'll let you come to your own conclusions about why there are only 2 games in Philadelphia.
- They'll be playing 2 "neutral site" games. The first will be a homecoming for, former Syracuse Orangemen, Michael Carter Williams and Jerami Grant (and that Carmelo fellow) at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY against the Knicks. Tune in to see if MCW drops a "Finally...Has Come Back" line. This may be the only time we hear him talk in the 3rd person.
- The second neutral site game will be at the PPL Center in Allentown, PA against the Magic. It was announced by the team as the "Sixers return to Allentown for the first time since 1974". That's pretty cool. As a fun exercise, who was on the 1974-1975 team? This guy.
- Of the "away" games, the one that jumps out is against Minnesota. For the past month it's been a forgone conclusion that Andrew Wiggins will be heading to Minnesota. Furthermore, there have been a few rumors that Sixers vet and fan favorite Thaddeus Young will be on the move there, as well. Draw those story lines!
- With less than 2 months to go, it'll be interesting to see how the roster shakes out. Last year, Hollis Thompson didn't join the team until the end of September. Folk hero Brandon Davies didn't join the team until the end of October. Despite the lack of wins, this team has been pretty interesting to follow, if only for their wealth of roster moves. It's the final stretch. Hold on to your butts.