Immediate reaction thread. Recap will be up later tonight. Some quick thoughts/info/talking points:
- Spencer Hawes was held out of the second half due to back spasms. He will travel with the team and be a gametime decision, but I'm not particularly optimistic he'll play. After the game I asked Thaddeus Young whether Collins had indicated to him who might start if Spencer can't go, and he said Collins hadn't. My money is on Vucevic if Hawes can't play. Collins has always been hesitant to start small with Young/Brand.
- Thoughts on Jimmer? I thought you saw exactly all the problems with him playing heavy minutes, particularly on the defensive end. He just can't guard anybody.
- Cousins had a decent stat line, although 5 defensive rebounds, 4 turnovers, and only 1 assist isn't something you want to see in 31 minutes. This is the "good" DeMarcus Cousins game, which to me is scary.
- The Kings backcourt couldn't defend anybody.
- Thad was shot out of a canon once again in the second quarter. He was everywhere on both ends of the court. This wasn't one of his best statistical games, but I thought he had a great impact on the game.
- Jrue was great. 17 points on 13 shots, 8 assists, 4 steals. At least this time the turnover problems in the first quarter weren't all his doing.
- How great is it to see Jodie Meeks knock down a couple of three's? If those start falling, I think the slow starts we've been having will start correcting itself.
- Elton Brand is your player of the game. Besides his stat line, his 1-1 battle with DeMarcus Cousins late in the first half really ignited the team, and his defense on Cousins and ability to keep him off the offensive glass turned the game around even before his shot started falling. And, obviously, him scoring 21 points on 14 shots is a great sign for this team. His previous high this year had been 12 points.