This 2014 NBA Draft looks stacked with talent, and with the 76ers holding 2 lottery picks I am absolutely giddy with excitement for this team's future. Here is a comparison of 2 players who, within less than 30 days, could be 76ers, Jabari Parker and Dario Saric.
Dario Saric has been looked at as a young basketball phenom for years now. NBA teams know and want Saric. Jabari Parker also has been looked at as a young basketball phenom for years now and is thought to be a potential #1 pick.
- Both can score and be their team's go-to scorer.
- Both can rebound at a high rate
- Both can pass the basketball and get teammates involved
- Both are considered "big" for the 3 position, big enough to play 4
- Both are said to be weak defensively
- Both are said to have poor lateral quickness
- Both are incredibly hard workers and will get better with NBA coaching and seasoning
- Saric is an intense, high motor guy -- Parker is said to "take plays off" during games
- Saric has played professionally -- Parker only amateur
- Parker has arguably faced tougher competition in NCAA D1 -- Saric not as proven against US talent
- Parker is a big name who will sell jerseys day 1 -- Saric may never be a big merchandise guy in the US
- Parker measures better with less height -- Saric has slightly shorter arms than Parker while being 2" taller
I think Saric (along with Marcus Smart) is one of the more fan-underrated players in the draft, as Saric could go as high as 5th after teams get a good look at Euro players (though his contract could impact that).
If we draft Parker 3rd it is highly unlikely that we would draft Saric, though not impossible in a best player available (BPA) scenario. I think Both Saric and Parker will be similar NBA players in 4 years-- small ball 4's who put points on the board and get teammates involved.
I think I would rather come away with Exum and Saric than Parker and one of Young/Stauskas/LaVine, but both of those scenarios are attractive as a fan of the talent-starved 76ers as I believe we move forward in a big way with either player.
In the comments I am interested to hear who you like more (considering how the draft plays out at 10) Parker or Saric?
Take the poll as player v player, not considering draft strategy wit the 10h pick.