Before you read this, please be conscious that I'm not stupid - I don't think any of this will happen nor is it in the slightest bit likely that even a fraction of this will happen. I just want it to happen.
Also, there are so many other implications that factor into trades that the 2K Sports system doesn't recognize. I'm aware the whole thing is reasonably unrealistic.
Nonetheless, I did this. I don't know why I tortured myself to this degree, but I did, and I'd be remiss if I didn't share the results.
Creation and Tanking
I uploaded the 2014 Draft Class and edited Andrew Wiggins to be a 99 overall, making him as enticing of an option as possible, parallel to what NBA teams already think of him and will think about him leading up to the draft in 2014.
I simulated through the 2012-2013 season, fired Doug and executed a hypothetical fire sale in the 2013 offseason in order to tank during the 2013-2014 season and land Wiggins. So, I traded all of their players of value not named Jrue Holiday for young players. In the 2013-2014 season, the Sixers went 10-72 and attainted the #1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft - the key to the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.
*Occurred during the 2013 offseason
**Occurred during the 2013-2014 season or subsequent offseason
1. Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young, Spencer Hawes and Lavoy Allen to Milwaukee for Larry Sanders, Luc Mbah a Moute, Beno Udrih and Ekpe Udoh. *
2. Arnett Moultrie and a 2014 first round pick to New Orleans for Ryan Anderson. **
3. Assuming he opts in to the second year of his contract, the Sixers traded Kwame Brown and a 2014 second round pick in a salary dump for a young asset in young guard Will Barton. **
1. I let Andrew Bynum walk, hilariously to a one-year deal with the New Orleans Hornets. I tried offering him as low as a two-year contract with max money and he didn't accept. Maybe there's something in New Orleans we don't know about. *
2. I Signed Andrew Goudelock to a one-year deal to back up Jrue Holiday. *
3. I let Royal Ivey, Damien Wilkins and Nick Young walk. (Within a month, Damien Wilkins had gotten a two-year deal from the Heat and Royal Ivey had gotten a one-year contract with the Suns. Nick Young didn't get picked up until the start of the 2013-2014 season. Go figures.) *
4. I waived Jason Richardson and Beno Udrih (via the Milwaukee trade) in another salary dump. *
5. I signed 25 year-old forward from the 2008 University of Memphis team, Chris Douglas-Roberts, to a one-year contract. **
6. I resigned Justin Holiday to a two-year contract. *
7. I resigned Dorell Wright to a two-year contract. *
8. I signed 2011 first-round draft pick JaJuan Johnson to a one-year contract. *
1. The only players I touched in free agency were undrafted free agents and young players.
2. All of the contracts I signed my players to were short term for future flexibility; none were longer than two years.
3. The oldest players on the team are both 26 years old (Dorell Wright and Mbah a Moute).
4. There are two players returning from the 2012-2013 roster: Jrue Holiday and Dorell Wright.
5. I didn't do so much as scratch the surface of the "big-name" players in the 2013 free agency class.
My starting lineup on opening night during the 2014-2015 season is Jrue Holiday-Will Barton-Andrew Wiggins-Ryan Anderson-Larry Sanders.
The shooting guard position is a work in a progress because Will Barton is pretty bad, but I traded for him because, really,who knows what he can actually do? He's 21 years old.
I would expect to have drafted at least a decent shooting guard by 2014, or signed one. Who knows, maybe I'll bring back Nick Young for a homecoming.
Get it Done
None of this will ever happen. The Bucks won't wake up one morning and decide to trade Larry Sanders and the Trailblazers GM, Neil Olshey, won't suddenly stop and think, "You know what, today I'm gonna trade a 21 year-old guard for Kwame Brown on three million dollars this year".
This is only a template for what the Sixers should be trying to do over the next 1-2 years. I don't know about you guys, but I've already kicked off the #WasteTimeForWiggins campaign with a tattoo on my forehead.
Are you taking notes, Josh Harris?
A user-created LB joint. The Liberty Ballers staff does not contribute to FanPosts.