While I'm still not performing the requisite maypole dance, I'm willing to wait and see what we have before I completely write them off. Here's where I am right now:
1) Love the aggressiveness and willingness to think out of the box.
2) Moultrie is still a nice value pick at 27, although if this is a playoff team, he's really the 15 next year. But if Dre goes, I'm pretty sure this isn't a playoff team, especially if they amnesty the Big Chevy. We'll know a LOT more about the direction this team is going very, very soon. Dre for Gasol? Win now. Dre for picks, expirings, and or young guys? Rebuilding.
3) After lots of thought and lots of reading and lots of conversation, I have absolutely no idea what to make of Harkless, except that the Heart song (Hark-less...dumdumdum HARK-LESS) has now been stuck in my head the entire day (I'm too old and unhip for Kanye). Clearly, there is something about him that Dougy and the Brain Trust liked about him. I honestly don't know what his ceiling and floor are, there are too many opinions (and too many assholes, but that's a story for another time). I guess we get to watch the mystery unfold, and who doesn't enjoy a good mystery?
4) Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't re-sign Hawes or BOSS. I'd rather they started Vucevic at center. At least we would find out what he is. And I just don't have the strength for another five years of BOSS ISOs. (Cue up the "Who else is there that Collins could give the ball to?" music. The answer is "Jrue, Turner, Iguodala, or, I don't know, how about running a damn play instead, maybe create an open look for Brand?") I know Thorn said he wants them both back, but really, what else could he say? "These guys suck rocks and no one should ever, ever sign them"? That's not the way this world works.
5) Someone kinda has to get traded at this point. There's a bit of a logjam at the "non-shooting wing guy who is versatile" position. And I know Dre had a career year shooting, and he's OK when he can get his feet set (I watch the games too, y'know). But there's a difference between "he's OK when he can get his feet set" and "he's a shooter." I love Dre, he's my favorite player on the team, and I really don't want him to go. But he seems like the logical candidate, unless somehow someone really wants Turner. But this town ain't big enough for Jrue, Dre, Turner, Thad, and Harkless (yes, I know they are all subtly different from one another, but there are enough similarities to make this roster problematic).
Anyway, it's not like I'm gonna stop being a Sixers fan because I'm not thrilled with a draft pick. This team has been hanging around my neck since the mid-70's, and I'm kinda stuck with them at this point. And someone out of every draft comes out of nowhere and surprises everyone by being way the hell better than everyone thought he was. Why couldn't it be Harkless (dumdumdum HARK-LESS!!) or Moultrie? And if not, we can all worry about it later.
Like Gene Hackman said in 'Hoosiers'..."THIS is your team!"
Peace, love, and chicken (Poultrie!!) soup.
Another user-created commentary provided by a Liberty Ballers reader.