In Saturday's win over the Detroit Pistons, Andre Iguodala recorded the eighth triple double of his career and his self-alley oop appeared on highlight reels everywhere. The eight year veteran has averaged nearly 16 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists during his career and has unquestionably been the face of the Philadelphia 76ers franchise since Allen Iverson's departure. He, however, has yet to appear in an NBA All Star Game, and the Sixers as a team haven't had a player represent them in the All Star game since Iverson did so in 2006.
Igudoala and his coach, Doug Collins, addressed the possibility of Iguodala being an All Star after the game last night. (Both quotes from Tom Moore via Twitter).
#Sixers Iguodala on not being an all-star in first 7 seasons: "Honestly, I thought I got snubbed twice - once for sure."
#Sixers Collins: 'If we are at the top of the Atlantic Division, he (Iguodala) is going to be an all-star.'
The NBA All Star game is less than a month away. The question is, does Andre Iguodala warrant a spot on the Eastern Conference All Star team?
Let's look at the Eastern Conference All Stars last season. There's five starters, whom are voted in by the fans, and seven reserves chosen by the coaches. Starters: Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, LeBron James and Amare Stoudemire. Reserves: Ray Allen, Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Al Horford, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo.
It's safe to say Iguodala won't be voted in as a starter, and Wade, Rose, D12 and LeBron are locks to return. That leaves seven reserve spots for Andre to be selected by the coaches. Here are the guys he's going to have to compete against for those final seven spots:
- Guards: Joe Johnson, Brandon Jennings, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo
- Forwards: Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Josh Smith, Kevin Garnett
- Centers: Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe, Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert
- His team has the third best record in the Eastern Conference.
- Regardless of what NBA GMs think, he's one of, if not the best perimeter defenders in the NBA.
- He ranks in the top 10 amongst swingman who play at least 20 minutes per game in the following categories: PER (9th), Win Shares (4th), Assist Rate (2nd), Assist:Turnover Ratio (4th) and Rebounds per game (7th).